White Ribbon walk for Sydney mums
Nov19

White Ribbon walk for Sydney mums

Domestic Violence – an important issue close to my heart that we need to challenge and change through educating our children. Bonus walk from Randwick to beautiful Coogee Beach finishing at Grant Reserve for informal speeches, an oath-swearing ceremony against violence followed by a BBQ breakfast… What a beautiful setting to finish a walk with Adam Goodes leading the pack thanks to Randwick City Council. Check out...

Read More
Sydney mum feeling good
Oct26

Sydney mum feeling good

Just met up with my good friend Carmen who volunteers her time to this fabulous and awesome community grass-roots social movement – Mums 4 Refugees (www.mums4refugees.org.au). An inspiring and aspiring organization of volunteer mums dedicating their time to help and support asylum seekers and refugees, offer opportunities for people like me to ‘do their bit’ and bring about conversation about the status quo of asylum...

Read More
Wayside Makeover
Sep05

Wayside Makeover

“I love how this old place has scrubbed up. We’ve made such a beautiful and special place out of nothing. We scrapped everything together – Sewed the curtains for the change rooms, donated stuff from our own homes, salvaged gems from street collections, even the frangipani outside the shop are from a council throw out. Most of all, it’s been made with a lot of love”.  Lara Esden, volunteer and worker with Wayside Chapel. This is...

Read More
Introducing: President Wilson
Jul23

Introducing: President Wilson

“As president of Surfing Mums Inc., I lead a talented committee of inspiring mums that give their time to help other mums all around the country to have an even richer mum experience – one that involves lots of surfing! As an exponentially growing national organisation we face a lot of challenges to make sure our community is able to grow and thrive.  We partner with companies and organisations that share our vision...

Read More
Lou Pollard: A Passionate Fool
Jun13

Lou Pollard: A Passionate Fool

Comedy is about telling the truth. I tell it both in my stand up and in my work with families as a Clown Doctor. “Clown Doctoring is mostly improvisation and sometimes our work is about naming the elephant in the room, saying the things that other people need to hear but are too scared to utter out loud, but always with a great deal of sensitivity. Our main priority as Clown Doctors is to be highly tuned to the needs of the sick child...

Read More
Heather Drew talks suicide
Apr06

Heather Drew talks suicide

Heather Drew talks about suicide almost every day, in an effort to prevent it. Why? Because statistics show that every second day an Australian construction worker ends their life. She is a Field Officer for Mates in Construction, the industry’s charity encouraging workers to talk to each other and be a mate.  I interviewed her for Small Builders blog last month on World Day for Safety and Health at Work.  “A good indicator is a...

Read More
Looking for two lucky kids to ride with Santa!
Nov09

Looking for two lucky kids to ride with Santa!

The City of Sydney is looking for two lucky kids to ride in Santa’s sleigh through Sydney CBD and light the Christmas tree at Martin Place! Could it be your little elves? Maybe! Read on: The City of Sydney is inviting kids aged 12 years and under to submit a photo of their best sleigh wave and send it in. Take out the tinsel, grab your Santa hat, take a pic and get into the spirit of Christmas! Simply complete the entry form here and...

Read More
Parramasala: Migrant heritage of women in Sydney’s west
Oct23

Parramasala: Migrant heritage of women in Sydney’s west

Multimedia artist Liam Benson is bringing the colour and character of western Sydney women to the forefront in a new exhibition. The Adorned exhibition features portraits of 12 western Sydney women of varying backgrounds and experiences will premiere as part of Parramatta’s Parramasala festival, which will open on tonight. Parramatta Artists Studios will present the exhibition alongside WeAve Parramatta and the Community Migrant...

Read More
Help this mum stamp out postnatal depression
Oct19

Help this mum stamp out postnatal depression

I am in the process of completing my PhD, which is looking at the risk factors for postnatal depression. It is something that is really close to my heart, as I suffered from it following the birth of my son. I have chosen to go back to study so I can hopefully find out what makes women more vulnerable to it’s development so that we can start improving our intervention programs. Around 1 in 7 women develop postnatal depression or...

Read More
Rose Bay Street Fair
Oct18

Rose Bay Street Fair

This coming Sunday, 25 October, the Panerong Reserve in Rose Bay will be the home to the Rose Bay Street Fair and it looks like fun. From Australian Wildlife Display shows to acrobatics/yoga and gym for kids. There’ll be fire breathers, stilt walkers, an animal farm, hundreds of stalls showcasing local wares, face painting, plenty of rides, and live entertainment throughout the day. The Fair, managed by the Rose Bay Rotary Club and...

Read More
%d bloggers like this: