Sydney Mum continues talking education
Dec05

Sydney Mum continues talking education

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about the new reforms hitting the HSC and NAPLAN from 2017 and my thoughts how it will impact our family and my role as a mum. Since I have come across some interesting articles that talk about the importance of early intervention, in particular the possibility of NSW schools implementing a phonics test at the end of year 1. It would seem that Australian government schools could be taking a page out of...

Read More
Early detection is your best protection
Dec02

Early detection is your best protection

Cancer, it’s the leading cause of death in Australia and knows no impunity and is non-discriminate. We all know someone who knows someone who knows someone and so on. Surfing the social media wave this week Sydney Mum came across this amazing story of Daniella, an inspirational woman sharing her very personal journey with breast cancer. She is on a mission and using Facebook as a launch pad, she has set a challenge to woman (and men)...

Read More
World AIDS Day Thursday 1st December
Nov28

World AIDS Day Thursday 1st December

HIV and AIDS continue to challenge countries around the world. In Australia there was 1081 new diagnoses in 2014 (worldaidsday) although the rate has remained stable for the last few years. World AIDS Day is this Thursday and there events popping up all over Sydney including the in East: World AIDS Day Makeover with MAC – A day event in the foyer of Sydney Children’s Hospital – High St, Randwick where MAC Cosmetic...

Read More
Sydney Mum will be wearing white and orange this Friday 25th November
Nov23

Sydney Mum will be wearing white and orange this Friday 25th November

On the back of White Ribbon Day this Friday Sydney Mum will be wearing orange, What about you? Not only is Friday the 25th November White Ribbon Day but also Orange Day, a day to take action to raise awareness and prevent violence against women and girls. It is also the beginning of an international campaign – 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence Campaign Taking place between the International Day for the...

Read More
Part II – Sydney Mum’s and their children’s education future
Nov22

Part II – Sydney Mum’s and their children’s education future

Wow, Wow, Wow…this is big news for me…Part II Yes, I do agree we need to make sure school leavers are competent in literacy and numeracy skills, I call it being a responsible and conscientious adult and parent, ensuring the future of our children is not at stake so they can realise their full potential. But I ask why are we testing that from year 9 onwards? What about the early years? Aren’t they the years that count the most? How...

Read More
Sydney Mums and their children’s education future
Nov20

Sydney Mums and their children’s education future

Wow, Wow, Wow! This is big news for me… Part I A few weeks ago it was brought to my attention the HSC in its current form has been subject to a massive makeover that is creating waves among communities of parents, educators and health care professionals. The reform brings a change to the literacy and numeracy standards expected from students completing year 9 NAPLAN tests onwards to become eligible for the HSC. NAPLAN is the acronym...

Read More
White Ribbon walk for Sydney mums
Nov19

White Ribbon walk for Sydney mums

Domestic Violence – an important issue close to my heart that we need to challenge and change through educating our children. Bonus walk from Randwick to beautiful Coogee Beach finishing at Grant Reserve for informal speeches, an oath-swearing ceremony against violence followed by a BBQ breakfast… What a beautiful setting to finish a walk with Adam Goodes leading the pack thanks to Randwick City Council. Check out...

Read More
Sydney mum feeling good
Oct26

Sydney mum feeling good

Just met up with my good friend Carmen who volunteers her time to this fabulous and awesome community grass-roots social movement – Mums 4 Refugees (www.mums4refugees.org.au). An inspiring and aspiring organization of volunteer mums dedicating their time to help and support asylum seekers and refugees, offer opportunities for people like me to ‘do their bit’ and bring about conversation about the status quo of asylum...

Read More
Wayside Makeover
Sep05

Wayside Makeover

“I love how this old place has scrubbed up. We’ve made such a beautiful and special place out of nothing. We scrapped everything together – Sewed the curtains for the change rooms, donated stuff from our own homes, salvaged gems from street collections, even the frangipani outside the shop are from a council throw out. Most of all, it’s been made with a lot of love”.  Lara Esden, volunteer and worker with Wayside Chapel. This is...

Read More
Introducing: President Wilson
Jul23

Introducing: President Wilson

“As president of Surfing Mums Inc., I lead a talented committee of inspiring mums that give their time to help other mums all around the country to have an even richer mum experience – one that involves lots of surfing! As an exponentially growing national organisation we face a lot of challenges to make sure our community is able to grow and thrive.  We partner with companies and organisations that share our vision...

Read More
%d bloggers like this: